CLEVELAND, November 12, 2019—Today, the Cleveland Transformation Alliance released its 2019 progress report on the impact of Cleveland’s Plan for Transforming Schools. Overall, the report shows the positive impact of the Cleveland Plan.
“Our community is making progress,” says Shana Marbury, General Counsel and Senior Vice President, Education and Workforce for the Greater Cleveland Partnership. Shana is a Transformation Alliance Board Member and chairs the Cleveland Plan Progress Report Committee. “This year’s report provides evidence that Cleveland’s Plan for Transforming Schools is making positive gains. The gap between Cleveland’s students and their peers statewide is lessening in many areas, including promotion to fourth grade, state test performance, academic growth, and high school graduation.”
The report highlights the following data for the city’s K-12 schools:
- The increase in the availability of and enrollment in high-quality preschool has yielded significant gains in kindergarten readiness for Cleveland’s youngest children.
- The percentage of students meeting requirements for promotion to fourth grade continues to increase for district and charter schools in Cleveland, with CMSD’s partnering charter schools showing the largest gains.
- Overall, Cleveland students’ performance on state tests increased in 2019, with CMSD showing the largest overall gains.
CMSD improved on the state’s measure of academic growth for the third year in a row.
- CMSD’s four-year graduation rate reached a record high of 78.2 percent, ranking the district in the top one percent for growth statewide.
- CMSD graduation rates for both African American and Hispanic students are surpassing the state average, resulting in a child of color having a greater chance of graduating high school from CMSD than his or her peers statewide.
- The Transformation Alliance commits to revisiting the goals of the Cleveland Plan and updating them to account for progress made and changes in the educational landscape during 2020.
Download a full copy of the 2019 Cleveland Plan Progress Report here.
About the Cleveland Transformation Alliance
The Cleveland Transformation Alliance is a public-private partnership dedicated to growing a portfolio of quality district and charter schools. The Alliance works to ensure every child in Cleveland attends a quality school, and every neighborhood has great schools from which families can choose.
Cleveland Transformation Alliance Cleveland Plan Progress Report Committee
Shana Marbury, Committee Chair