- Ivy Wheeler
- Hours of Operation
- 7:40 a.m. to 2:10 p.m.
- School Type
- Operated By
At Whitney Young, students prosper in
a positive, child-centered environment.
Faculty and staff collaborate with
students’ families to help students
achieve academic success and build
strong cognitive, social and creative skills.
We provide a nurturing environment
committed to achieving excellence. All
students are challenged to reach their
maximum potential by learning at their
functional level. Students will explore,
discover, learn, create and reflect, on or
above grade level, to prepare them to be
productive, well-educated citizens, and
thrive in our ever-changing world.
Whitney Young offers…
• Integrated and problem-based learning.
• Services for students with mild to moderate learning and behavior issues, including
five classrooms for students with multiple disabilities or autism, one classroom for
emotionally disturbed students, and a special education preschool unit.
• Lunchtime mentoring opportunities through the My Mentor My Friend program,
which helps improve students’ attendance, academic attitude, social skills and
• Tutoring from the Achievement Corps.
• A focus on restorative practices to reduce the out-of-school suspension rate.